Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Lesson of Light

In our 20th Anniversary Season,  I want to send a heartfelt thank you out to all our dancers from the past who dedicated their time and dancing to the company as well as the many designers who have inspired me.  I was thinking today about the first time I understood stage light.  I was sitting with Jennifer Tipton and she said light is an entity with you on stage and if you project consciousness to an area of stage the audience will feel this.  This simple statement was so profound for me and guides me to this day when thinking about work as I create and coach it.  Her wise words continue to inform me as I collaborate with Laura McDonald from NASA and Sara Brown from MIT on visual projection environments that create worlds for the dancers to reside in.

No comments: